Open Source Software is software whose source code, documentation, and design are made available for use or modification by anyone.
Why Open Source
- To get technical experience
- To get connected with other developers
- To get paid gigs or a job
The Open Source Challenge by OSCA Nairobi
The Open Source Challenge 2022 aims to support the tech ecosystem in Kenya to contribute to open source projects. Each participant records open source contributions made by submitting links to merged pull requests. At the end of the challenge, the top 5 contributors get rewarded with internet data to support their learning/work and a digital certificate that they can add to their collection or resume.
We'll be hosting a webinar about the challenge on June 11th, 2022, to kick-start the challenge. Kindly register to attend the webinar here. Come learn more about the challenge, get informed on the local projects partnering with us, and ask us any questions.
- You will improve your skills by working on real-life projects.
- You’ll increase your chances of getting accepted into paid OSS programs like Outreachy, Google Summer of Code, Google Season of Docs, etc.
- You will expand your network and get to meet more open-source enthusiasts in the OSCA Nairobi community.
- You can get recommendations and referrals.
- You gain access to future opportunities.
- You get the chance to win amazing prizes
How to Participate
- Register to participate in the challenge by filling out this form.
- Join the introductory webinar on June 11th, 2022, by registering here.
- Join the OSCA Discord server and interact with other community members in the #osca-nairobi channel.
- Check out the open-source-challenge-2022 GitHub repository to find helpful guides and resources to help you get started.
- Contribute to any open-source project of your choice e.g some local communities we have partnered with include She Code Africa Nairobi, React developers Kenya
- Upon completing the challenge, write an article about your experience and what you learned.
- Submit the article and links to merged pull requests by filling out this form.
- Winners will be announced, and prizes will be awarded.
11th June 2022 - The challenge begins.
11th July 2022 - The challenge ends.
Early August 2022 - The top five successful participants will be rewarded.
At Open Source Community Africa Nairobi, we aim to increase contributions from the Kenyan developers, designers, writers, community managers, product managers, and everyone involved to open source projects both locally and globally.